How to Build a House

Yesterday Mrs. P. showed Mrs. Sharpe’s and our class a powerpoint highlighting the progress of her house being built in Forest Crowne to teach us more about structures. Today we got to take a bus tour of Forest Crowne and see the different stages of building that occur when building a house.

Mrs P Structures pp

IMG_2468 IMG_2469What did you learn about building a house?

Which part of the tour was your favourite and why?

25 thoughts on “How to Build a House

1. Dear Mrs. Kostiuk,

It was new to me, I never saw a house like that. I learned that concrete is soft before it gets poured.

From Makayla

2. Dear Mrs. Kostiuk,

My favourite part about the tour was getting to see all around the house. I learned what the foam spray is called.

From Leah

3. Dear Mrs. Kostiuk,

My favourite was the concrete down in the basement. I learned about the styroblocks and what holds a house up.

From Trentin

4. Dear Mrs. Kostiuk,

My favourite part was seeing the inside of the house. I learned that building a house takes a really long time.

From Aven

5. Dear Mrs. Kostiuk,

The walk was my favourite because it was kind of like walk/run. I learned that they use styrofoam blocks to build the house and they put wood over it.

From Kris

6. Dear Mrs. Kostiuk,

I learned that you need concrete in the middle of the styrofoam blocks. My favourite part was when we went for a walk.

From Tsuyoshi

7. Dear Mrs. Kostiuk,

I learned that you would need little styrofoam blocks and you don’t only use wood. My favourite part was seeing what a house looks like before because my dad and my grandpa build too.

From Cass

8. Dear Mrs. Kostiuk,

I learned that you can put the styrofoam things on. My favourite part was when we got to see the house that was almost finished.

From Conner

9. Dear Mrs. Kostiuk,

I learned that you need lots of concrete to help it stick together. My favourite part was feeling some of the concrete.

From Lucius

10. Dear Mrs. Kostiuk,

When I got there I saw Mrs. Pakenham’s basement looks like a skating place and I thought she was maybe going to have a skate park for Joe at home. My favourite part was when I was coming I saw all the trees and a house between them and it looks safe.

From Evan

11. Dear Mrs. Kostiuk,

I learned that they used sonatubes to hold up the deck and then they put boards on top of them. My favourite part was how they put the cement in the foam blocks because I saw a video about building a house before and the squares kind of looked like foam blocks.

From Draden

12. Dear Mrs. Kostiuk,

I learned that you can use the styrofoam blocks on the frame of the house. My favourite part was going on the walk around to see what all of the different houses were made of.

From Olivia

13. Dear Mrs. Kostiuk,

I learned that they used styrofoam blocks to build the houses base for some houses and some houses use different stuff like concrete or wood. My favourite part was when we went around the block and saw the three different houses being built because we got to exercise and we got to see some people working on the houses.

From Sakari

14. Dear Mrs. Kostiuk,

I learned that structures stay together when they are built strong. My favourite part was looking in the windows because you got to see how it looks inside.

From Presley

15. Dear Mrs. Kostiuk,

I learned that to build a house they first dig a hole and then when they’re all done they put in the garage and the basement and then they build the roof. It takes months to build it. My favourite part was seeing the other houses being built because those houses we got to see what they look like before it is painted.

From William

16. Dear Mrs. Kostiuk,

I learned that there are different tools you need to build a house for the different parts. My favourite part was how I saw lots of cement on the ground because it looked neat because it looked like ice.

From Dru

17. Dear Mrs. Kostiuk,

I learned that they have to buy a lot of stuff to build a house like wood, nails, screws, tools, and cement. My favourite part was seeing all of the different houses because some of them were almost finished and some of them were not almost finished.

From Parker

18. Dear Mrs. Kostiuk,

I learned that you have to use strong materials to build a house and that it won’t hold up if it is a weak material. My favourite part was when we got to learn about the styrofoam blocks because they looked a lot like Lego.

From Eden

19. Dear Mrs. Kostiuk,

I learned that you for the tubes you need to put cement inside so that the deck does not collapse and be flat on the ground. My favourite part was when we walked because that gave us a lot of exercise and fresh air.

From Kiera

20. Dear Mrs. Kostiuk,

I learned that they put cement on the blocks to stick them together. My favourite part was when we got to look at the basement because it looked cool.

From Autumn

21. Dear Mrs. Kostiuk,

I learned that you use styrofoam blocks to build the basement. My favourite part was seeing Mrs. Pakenham’s house because we got to touch it.

From Hser Dri

22. Dear Mrs. Kostiuk,

I learned that when the concrete dries up it makes the blocks stick together. My favourite part was going on the walk because we got to see other houses being built.

From Zoe

23. Wow grade 2/3’s it sounds like you learned a lot on your field trip to Forest Crowne! There is a lot of building happening up there! I wish our basement was ice too Evan and Dru, that would be fun! The building process does take a long time but it is neat to watch as it progresses I hope I can share more pictures with you all as the progress continues!!!